With one option in New Zealand down the tubes (pun intended), I turned to the other: egg freezing.
After emailing Oxford Woman’s clinic to remind them to send the PDF of pre tests to me, that I hopefully could get done in China, I was put in touch with an incredible fertility nurse Kate. She sent the list of tests directly to me the same day she received the email.
It was a super scary looking list of tests I might add, anything that lists HIV and involves needles is always going to be a heart attack inducing list to me. Unfortunately for her, she then told me not to hesitate to contact her if I needed any help with the list or anything else.
Big mistake lady!
Because my mind was racing about all the possible scenarios, outcomes, timings and unknowns I replied straight back to her to see if she could answer the following questions:
- Because my specialist recommended that I have at least 2 rounds of freezing done due to my low AMH level, how long in-between times can I wait until I have the next round?
- As I only have set holidays, I may be able to come back to New Zealand from these dates (dates listed), would this work for at least the first round?
People often (sometimes a little too much), have me on about the holidays teachers get. Now, I will not go on to justify why we deserve it or need it or work our arses off for it but what I will say is that unfortunately this means that we are only able to have holidays or take time off at these particular times. The excruciatingly hard part about this for me now, is having to try to time procedures around these times, which is not an easy feat. Especially when these timings are also governed by the procedure I choose.
For egg freezing with IVF I will need to go on the pill so that they can control things a bit more and that means I then need to count backwards from holidays to make sure that I start the pill at certain times. If I am not accurate, I will start costing myself money and have to take more days of leave without pay or miss the holiday window altogether. This implicates flights as well as days off, so, it is best not to screw that one up!
OR if I decide to go with IUI or something similar that means I have to go off the pill and it is up to my bodies timing when I have to be, where I have to be. Meaning who the bloody hell knows what dates that will be and what flights I need to book and when.
Throw in the time crunch of a year, a useless mathematician (that’s me). and an even more less knowledgeable person about cycles (again…that’s me), and you have a complete scheduling nightmare. Believe me, it is headache inducing.
Putting it plainly – it is just not a simple thing to plan or organize. It means leave without pay, when this is already going to be a pretty costly experience in itself, which ever way I go. Most people only have to factor in tests, meds and procedures which is horrendously costly in itself. Unfortunately for me, I also need to add to that, ridiculously expensive flights and time crunches.
Luckily the nurse was incredible and I no longer had to deal with 3 week waits. The very next day she had written an incredibly long and detailed email explaining how we could do the freezing and how it would work, and asking if I could extend some dates as I would need some recovery time before flying…oh yeah…there’s another thing I have to factor in.
As the clinic is closed at Christmas time for cleaning and holidays etc, I was told that I would not be able to do my second round then and as it were, she stressed to me how important it was NOT to wait that long because of the levels of my AMH.
These factors were extremely stressing for me and with people telling me time was of the essence and that they could cater for me during this time (July/August), it seems like this was my only option.
Unfortunately what made me most upset was the fact that I was in the midst of planning an epic trip to Europe to spend time with my brother and when my parents caught wind of the trip they were keen to jump on the band wagon. 3 days before I found out from the specialist the extent of what was going on and the time implications, my parents had gone ahead and booked non refundable tickets to our chosen destinations.
So with most of my family overseas in Europe while I was going to be going through this in New Zealand, it was looking less and less appealing. With only my sister in town, and she doesn’t know this yet, she was first in line for daily injection duty.
The cost alone was enough to be sending me for the hills and now most of my family weren’t going to be there for support. This really did not seem like the option for me at all.